School uniforms are required while on school property, field trips (before or after school day hours), while attending Afterschool All Stars (our aftercare program), and school-approved activities after 3:15 PM unless athletic, dance or other specific apparel is required by the coach/leader.
- Long or short-sleeved solid red polo shirt with logo for incoming 6th 7thand 8th grade students
- Khaki pants worn at waist level (including a belt if needed to maintain this).
- Shorts, skirts/shorts/jumpers must be no higher than two inches from the top of the knee.
- Cloth (other than the bandana print, see “Not Approved Apparel” section) used as a headband, as well as plastic, leather and other materials.
- Comfortable shoes or sneakers.
- Plain black cotton sweatshirts without hoods (front zip or pullover) and knit vests may be worn; our school logo is required on all sweatshirts and vests. All sweatshirts, vests, and long sleeved shirts must be without embellishments of any kind, including non-school logos, artwork, metal, etc.
- Purses no larger than the student’s hand may be carried in the building.
Not Approved Apparel /Other
- Except for religious purposes, no head coverings (hats, scarves that cover the head and/or face, and “bandana” style (at right) scarves.
- No hoods are permitted on pull over or zip front sweaters, sweatshirts, etc.
- Metal studs on headbands and other accessories are prohibited.
- Outerwear (vests or jackets made of fleece or other coat-like materials) is not to be worn in the building and must be placed in the student’s locker upon arrival.
- No PE uniforms worn outside.
- In order to protect our gym floor, no black-soled, black-bottom shoes. No open-toed shoes, sandals, flip flops or Crocs.
- Purses larger than the student’s hand.
- Earrings larger than a quarter coin.
- Khaki colored leggings / tights (worn in place of Khaki pants).
Ordering Logo Uniforms
Use this link to order SH uniforms:
Borrowing or Donating Uniforms
In order to comply with DC Municipal Regulations and to maximize students’ instructional time even when they arrive at school not wearing a complete school uniform, we have purchased a variety of uniform items, which students may borrow, wear for the day, and return in good condition the next day after washing the garment. If a verbal reminder, call to the parent and finally a letter to the parent to do not result in the items being returned as requested, the parent will be charged $15 per item. Please give outgrown uniforms (washed and in good condition) donations to our Alternative Instructional Arrangement (AIA) Coordinator in room 119.
Dress Down Day Policy
Home notification of a dress down day will be provided in writing and/or automated phone call (recorded administrator’s voice) at least 24 hours in advance. Guidance on appropriate apparel for Stuart-Hobson Middle School Dress-Down days includes the following:
- Shorts (including Skorts), Skirts or Dresses – must reach at least to 2 inches above the top of the kneecap.
- Shirts- all shirts must meet the following criteria:
- Must contain sleeves that cover the shoulder and underarm.
- Necklines may not be lower than 3″ below the collarbone, with no visible cleavage.
- Both shoulders must be covered (no off-shoulder shirts).
- Must be long enough to remain tucked in with arms raised, while leaning over, or while seated.
- Prohibited clothing include: inappropriate symbols, words, pictures, or articles depicting violence, tobacco, drugs, alcohol, sex, vulgarity, demeaning to race, or gang related; transparent, skin-tight or slashed clothing sweatbands/sweatpants, visible undergarments, pajamas or bedroom shoes (slippers) unless permitted i.e. spirit week or wallet chains or jewelry (including spiked jewelry) that poses a safety hazard.