Arrival and Dismissal Procedures | Watkins
Breakfast begins at 8:00am. All students who would like breakfast may enter the E St. auditorium door closest to 12th St for morning breakfast. Before care begins at 7 am; students receiving before care will also enter through the E St. auditorium door. Parents that have not signed their child up for before care, but drop their students off before 8am (when breakfast begins) will be charged for before care by Springboard. The below map gives detailed information on arrival and departure locations at Watkins:
The main entrances to Watkins will open at 8:15 am.
Please access 12th Street going North (preferable) for drop-off directly in front of the school. Please use the D St. or E St. crosswalks when crossing 12th street for safety. Do not cross 12th Street in the middle of the block.
If you are bringing your student inside Watkins in the morning, you may not park directly in front of the building. The front spots are for drop off only.
Please use the D St. or E St. crosswalks when crossing 12th street for safety. Do not cross 12th Street in the middle of the block. There is a Crossing Guard at E / 12th Street SE.
First, Second and Third graders should enter via the Main entrance on 12th Street near E.
Fourth and Fifth graders should enter at the D Street entrance. The D. St. entrance will lock at 8:45. Students arriving after 8:45 will be marked as tardy and must enter through the main entrance and retrieve a tardy pass.
Coming Soon: Upon entering the building, students will swipe their DC One Card for entry. All students will have their picture taken for a DC One Card during the first week of school. DCPS is focusing on improving attendance and reducing tardies this year. The DC One Card swipe will create a time stamp of your child’s entry into the building.
We have so many afterschool options for families- buses to Peabody and the arts center, Spring board, OST, REC, etc. It is imperative that we get all of our children in the right place for their safety after school.
- Bus students will be in the cafeteria and supervised until buses arrive.
- REC students will be with Coach Cobbs in the cafeteria.
- All Watkins After the Bell Students will dismiss to the library. This includes OST, Springboard, and Enrichment Clubs. Ms. Wright and Ms. Rachel Cockerham will be supervising. Students will be picked up by their after school teacher.
Dismissal begins at 3:15PM. Doors open at 3:20PM.
Parent Pick Up and Walkers
- 1st and 2nd grade students will be dismissed from their classrooms. Parents will need to enter through the main entrance and pick up their child from their classroom.
- 3rd grade students will be picked up from the cafeteria (each class will be lined up behind their teacher’s cone)
- 4th and 5th grade students will be dismissed from the D Street entrance. Parents should wait outside for classes to exit.
Safety And Signing In
- Any parent entering the building for dismissal must enter through the main entrance, sign in, and show ID with our security guard.
- Early dismissal will end at 2:50PM. There will be no early dismissal from 2:50-3:20PM as classrooms are still teaching. This is a Capitol Hill Cluster School Policy.
- In the event of an emergency, please contact the main office at (202) 698-3355
Note: Doors to school will remain locked until 3:20 PM. Our school day does not end until 3:15 PM and we need adequate time to get all students in their correct location for after school programs and to the pick up spot. The safety of all of our children is top priority. We appreciate your patience in understanding that we will need parents to remain outside until all students are ready.